Marching Fest

Marching+Fest

Rebecca Li, Writer

On October 13th, the Freehold Boro Marching Colonials performed at the FHSD marching band fest. The Marching Colonials have been working hard since late August to prepare for this fall’s football season. They are directed by Mr. Eric Gross, along with assistant director Ms. Nicole Cinman, color guard instructor Ms. Cecilia Vacca, and marching specialist Ms. Mona Garbeley. The drum majors are seniors Brian McCann and Sam Collins along with junior Shannon Brunner.

Every week, the marching band accompanies the football team to the games, both home and away. The band adds excitement to the atmosphere during the game, with their show and stand tunes that they play in the bleachers. The marching band also participates in competitions around New Jersey, where they compete with hopes of gaining awards.

This year’s marching fest was hosted by Manalapan High School. The marching fests provide the bands with opportunities to show off what they have learned to their peers, without the air of competitiveness usually found in football games.

The Marlboro Marching Mustangs kicked off the event with their show, “50th Anniversary of The Who,” followed that by the Howell Marching Rebels’ “Invincible”, in which songs with a heroic theme were played.

The Freehold Boro Marching Colonials displayed their original medley of space tunes, “The Search Among the Stars,” composed by Brian McCann and former drumline member Tom Heider. Some recognizable tunes include the Star Trek theme song and the childhood classic, “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”.

A short shower of rain drenched the Marching Colonials during their on-field performance, but it ended shortly after they returned back into the bleachers.

The Freehold Township Marching Patriots presented their tribute to Back to the Future, a classic 80’s film. After that came the Colts Neck Marching Cougars. Finally, the Manalapan Marching Braves closed the event, with their show, “Sanctuary”. Unfortunately, the rainstorm returned in the middle of their performance, forcing the rest of the show to be cut.

Despite the rain, every band did very well. The Freehold Marching Colonials returned home damp and tired, but satisfied by their successful performance. The marching fest may have ended with a storm, but the season is not over for the Marching Colonials. Stay tuned for upcoming performances, which include the Homecoming pep rally, parade, and football game on October 16th and October 17th. Be sure to support the band!