George H.W. Bush

Back to Article
Back to Article

George H.W. Bush

Jacob Sernoff, Staff Writer

Today America has lost one of its greatest leaders: George H. W. Bush, the 41st president of the United States of America. Although Bush was a president, he also was a military veteran, an envoy to—at the time—Communist China, and so much more. George H. W Bush had an amazing résumé: He was raised in Massachusetts and Connecticut, attending private schools in the area. He joined the United States military during the war in the Pacific with Japan and flew many combat missions as a pilot. At the end of the war, Bush received a medal of the Distinguished Flying Cross.  

After the war, Bush enrolled at Yale University. After college, he moved to Texas with his wife and kids and played a part in the oil industry. His career in politics began in the 60’s, when he ran as a senator from Texas, but lost to a Democrat by the name of Ralph Yarborough. He became part of the House of Representatives in 1966, but ran for Senate and lost yet again. Bush was not left unseen, though, as he was then asked to be part of the United Nations as an ambassador under the president at the time, Richard Nixon. Bush had this position from 1971 to 1972, until the Watergate scandal—a Nixon-backed break-in into the Democratic National Headquarters, where Democrat dirt, top secret files, etc. was searched for. This scandal would eventually lead to Nixon’s resignation as president and would alter the opinions of Republicans across the country.

Bush then became head of the Republican National Committee. After Nixon resigned and his vice president, Gerald Ford, took over, Bush was sent to Beijing as the US representative in China. This position would be short-lived, as he began his new career as the head of the Central Intelligence Agency—otherwise known as the CIA—in 1976. He spent a year doing this job, and then went home to Texas in 1977. Three years later, Bush ran for president of the United States. Bush would not run for president that long, as the more widely-liked Ronald Reagan was getting more support and, eventually, became a backer of who was going to be the president. Reagan and Bush would be president and vice president respectively for eight years and won the election both times by a large difference.

At the end of Reagan’s eight-year term, Bush was to run as president in 1988, and this time won, having a little more than 50% of the vote. During his term, Bush was more focused on outside the country rather than inside the country, as can be seen during the Gulf War. This war was concluded in one year, after the U.S. freed Kuwait from the invading Iraqis. On the brighter side, Bush signed a treaty with now capitalist Russia, in which he ended bitter tensions with the Russians. However, things got worse as the U.S. entered an economic recession, and Bush, who promised to keep the taxes like they were in the Reagan presidency, broke his own promise by raising taxes, angering many Americans. He would run for president for another term, but lost to Bill Clinton. Bush represented an America who kept its conservative American roots and instilled a strong will of patriotism and peace through strength. He will be remembered as one of America’s Commanders in Chief.

George H.W. Bush