Spotlight: Lynelle Oygenblik – Senior Class of ’19

Stephen Gee

The New Jersey Junior Science and Humanities Symposium is an annually held research fair at Rutgers University. It provides an opportunity for students around Central and Northern Jersey to express their scientific intrigue by presenting research they have conducted during their high school career. This year, Freehold Boro sent four Medsci seniors to present their projects, conducted during their junior year independent research course, to the Rutgers symposium. Among them was Lynelle Oygenblik who came in first in her category and qualified to compete at a national competition. We sat down with Lynelle to hear about her experience:

Q: Why were you at the symposium?

A: My project was looking at a correlation between type two diabetics and having lymphogenic cancer. I applied to the regional junior science honors symposium and was there to present my research. I ended up qualifying to present my research as a poster presenter for regionals and ended up placing first at the regional competition making me eligible to go to nationals in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Q: How were you feeling when you qualified for nationals?

A: I was very shocked and was not expecting it considering the other students were completing their research in large research institutions and universities while I had only conducted mine here at Freehold Boro.

Q: How do you plan to prepare for nationals?

A: I actually have to reorganize my whole poster to make it more concise because I only have three minutes to present to 18 judges there and I have to attend practice with critiques from the doctors associated with JSHS to make sure my presentation is adequate for nationals.

Q: What is your biggest takeaway from this experience?

A: There are so many smart students out there who are excited to get their hands on research which makes it extremely fulfilling to be part of a movement for scientific progress so attending this symposium was an awesome experience to see so many other students that are as dedicated to science as I am.

Lynelle Oygenblik is a senior medsci student at Freehold High School. She is also a competitive dancer and competes across the US. She enjoys interning with different doctors over the summer and hopes to one day become one herself while doing research through an MD/Ph.D track.