AP Testing: An Honest Review

Image courtesy of Andy Barbour via Pexels

AP week is finally over. Weeks of studying and stressing have finally come to an end. But what was AP testing really like? How long did they need to study? Many AP students were asked about their experiences of testing and studying, and this is what they had to say.

Two AP Biology students stated that “the test was easier than expected.” One AP Biology student said they had spent about three weeks studying. They also said that their teacher overprepared them, and they thanked them for that. While another student said their teacher did not prepare them enough, that same student spent less time studying than the other. An AP Biology student from another school said that the test was harder than expected, in their opinion, and that they spent weeks studying.

A student who took both AP Chemistry and AP Statistics said “they were both moderately hard but not absolutely terrible.” They told me that they were not the biggest studier, but when they did study, it was for about an hour a night for a week prior to the tests. They felt that their AP statistics teacher prepared them very well. They stated that their teacher makes their tests with AP-style questions, so they knew what was in store for them on the tests. They said that for AP Chemistry, they were less prepared by their teacher, but they also stated that they were never really good at the subject in the first place. 

A student from another school who took AP Computer Science A said that the test was harder than expected and that they spent a few hours a week studying. Another, but different student from another school took AP Language and Composition and said that the test was about as hard as they expected and that they spent weeks studying. They said that on a scale of 1-10, their stress levels for the test and studying were about a 7. A different student from a school in Pennsylvania took AP European History, and they said that the test was easier than expected. They said that they would much rather take a test that takes all day than a test that would affect their grade. They said it gave them a little bit of relief knowing that even if they did badly on this test, it would have no effect on their final grade.

Looking at all these students and their reviews of their AP tests shows that everyone has a different experience with the tests. Some have different teachers, and some spend more time studying them than others. The many AP tests are very different in their level of difficulty; it depends on the type of student you are. You might have had a completely different experience with the tests, but again, you must remember that we are all our own people.