Choosing Option 2

Choosing Option 2

Picture this, you’re a gymnast who trains 10 hours a week, but are told you have to take gym in order to graduate high school. That doesn’t make much sense, does it? If you’re getting excessive amounts of exercise outside of school, why would you have to participate in in-school physical activity as well? Fortunately for Freehold High School students, there’s a solution to this problem.

The solution to this problem is known as Option 2. Option 2 allows high school students who participate in over 150 minutes of physical activity outside of school per week to opt out of gym and still get the credit. In addition, you also qualify for Option 2 if you are a two Season athlete for Freehold Boro. During the period in which you would have gym, you get study. Study is essentially a free period that allows you to catch up on work, go see teachers for extra help, makeup tests, Etc.

Here’s a statement from one of Freehold Boros Option 2 participants ;

“ Option 2 was one of the best decisions I ever made. It gave me so much more free time after school because I would do all my homework during study.  I was also able to do makeup tests too so I didn’t have to get up early and take them. It gives me a break in my school day to organize myself and relax.” -Lizzy Kurz

As you can see, Option two has positively affected the student body at Freehold Boro High School. It is a great opportunity for all athletes.  If Option 2 sounds interesting to you, be sure to talk to Mr. Longo or your guidance counselor about having Option 2 in your schedule next year!