Book Review: “Tuesdays with Morrie”

Image by Element5 Digital via Pexels

Simple yet captivating. Tuesdays with Morrie is a memoir written by Mitch Albom about multiple visits he had with his old college professor, Morrie Schwartz. There is not a moment in this book where you aren’t eager for the next page. Morrie Schwartz shares his view on life and advice as he develops ALS.

Morrie Schwartz was an American Professor of Sociology at Brandeis University. He authored multiple books including “Letting Go: Reflections on Living While Dying”, which is a book in which he discusses his struggles with ALS, a progressively disabling and fatal disease, and living his life to the fullest. Mitch Albom met Morrie when he took one of his sociology classes but lost contact after he graduated. Morrie had been gaining popularity and had an interview on TV. Mitch recognized his professor and decided to visit him again. Mitch and Morrie used to meet on Tuesday in college, so they decided to keep the tradition alive. Throughout this book Mitch and Morrie meet for 14 Tuesdays, with Morrie taking on his professor roles and spreading wisdom on life and death. 

This book is intriguing because there are conversations about topics people tend to avoid. The sociology professor brings up his relationship with death and I felt it was really peaceful. One quote from the book that I believe will stick with me forever is “Death ends a life, not a relationship”. I would recommend this memoir to those who might be having a tough time and to remember that it will be alright.