How Old is Too Old to Trick-or-Treat?

Image by Charles Parker from Pexels

Halloween, a day in October where anyone can be whoever they would like to be with no shame, judgment, or fear. The sun begins to set but the night has just begun. The decorations are lit and the faux goblins and ghosts are ready! The trick-or-treaters prepare themselves with their pillowcases and masks. However, who’s behind these masks? How old are these trick-or-treaters? And when does someone become too old to trick-or-treat?

Scientifically speaking, some may say that you have until the age of twenty-five. This is because the frontal lobe does not fully develop until the age of twenty-five therefore before it fully matures, you are still considered a child. In this case, you are not too old to trick-or-treat until you reach the age of twenty-five. In other cases, people may say that once you reach high school, your trick-or-treating days are over. High school students typically find it “uncool” to go around gathering candy and would rather attend a party or watch a good scary movie. Some consider high school to be a transition point from childhood to adulthood. Their interest in going door to door diminishes. They would rather be doing something else, anything else!

However, there are still plenty of teens and tweens out there that trick-or-treat and trade candy like their prime days. They cling to that innocence and partake in a wholesome activity that reminds them of their childhood. A time when all that was important was friends, family, and the sugar that came! 

In reality, there is no definitive age limit as to when a person should stop trick-or-treating. It’s a personal decision that no one can make except for yourself. That being said, if you choose to trick-or-treat at an older age, make sure to still be respectful of those around you and be careful with your actions as they may reflect on the younger kids that surround you. But most of all, make sure to have fun. On a day like Halloween, there is so much happiness and cheer. This is a tradition nobody should miss, no matter the age!