Cell Phones Should Be Banned in Schools

Image by Eirik Solheim at Unsplash

In schools all over the globe, all have one main issue that most people can agree on. Cell phone usage has become a distraction to children/students. Cell phones create significant challenges to learning. Lessening the usage of cell phones or going to the extent of banning them can foster a more academic learning environment.

It is an instinct to pick up your phone when it buzzes or chimes, but there is a time and place to answer your phone. Of course, there are emergencies or a text message that has to be sent, but most of the time this is not always the case. A lot of times when students are on their phone it is because they are bored in class, uninterested in learning the lesson, or overall don’t care to look up and understand what is being taught to them.

I completely understand why teachers and administrators are frustrated because the students lack care towards the lesson and the teacher is disrespectful and annoying. I personally believe that banning cell phones would only worsen the issue before them. By banning cell phones, students are more likely to go on them more. They will then feel it is a way to fight back against the rule or overall dismiss it.

I believe that there needs to be a system in place where when a teacher is explaining the lesson, we are not allowed to be on our phones. Whether this be putting our phones in a box or giving them to the teacher at the beginning of class. Once the lesson is over and we are independently working, I feel as if we should be able to go on our phones. This is our time and how we use it is our problem.

Some people will get their work done and have a little bit of class time to relax or do what they want. Some people will procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do any of their work. All I’m saying is that there needs to be a compromise between the students and faculty.