Interview with Varsity Senior on the Girl’s Volleyball Team: Julianna Manrique

Image of Julianna Manrique for Freehold Boro Girls Volleyball
Image of Julianna Manrique for Freehold Boro Girl’s Volleyball

During this interview, Senior, Julianna Manriqure, a starting Varsity player on the girl’s volleyball team gave me an insight into how the 2023 season is going so far and the dedication she and her team have to work together in order to win future games and make it to the playoffs!

Question 1:

How are you feeling so far about the season overall? What is the record?

Julianna’s response: The season hasn’t been going the way we all hoped right now but I’m optimistic that we can work harder to turn the season around. Our record right now is 5-7, which is not amazing.

Question 2:

Do you feel there are weaknesses and strengths in the team? If so, what are they?

Julianna’s response: I feel as if one of our weaknesses is communicating, which is one of the most important things in volleyball. However, it is something we can work on and become better with. A strength we definitely have as a team is collaboration. WE all work together really well and we are like a family in a way. Everyone adds something to the team that benefits us as a whole. 

Question 3:

How are you preparing for the upcoming game against Raritan? 

Julianna’s response: Because of our extremely busy schedule, we have been struggling with the amount of practice time we have in between games. We were unable to have practice before our next game, against Raritan on Monday, October 2nd, due to our games on Friday and Saturday. In order to prepare, our fellow captains Audrey Sousa, Breanne Cies, and I will discuss communication skills with the rest of the team along with how we can play better in general. 

Question 4:

What motivates you most in each game?

Julianna’s response: What motivates me each game is my urge to make the tournaments that happen towards the end of each season like the SCT (Shore Conference Tournament) A specific minimum record is required to make these tournaments. My determination to win is fueled by this goal and I believe with the right amount of effort put in, my team and I will strive right for our goals!