SAT Advice

Image by The College Board and Khan Academy

The SAT is a standardized test that most colleges and universities use for admissions. Although recently some schools have become test-optional, this is subject to change. It would still be a wise decision to take the SAT. 

Contrary to popular belief, the SAT is not an intelligence test. The SAT focuses more on the knowledge and skills you’ve learned in high school. There are many tips and strategies that can help you succeed on the test and get a better score than expected. This article will delve into some of these tips! 

1. Begin preparing early. Create a set schedule and practice questions from each section every day. This will help familiarize yourself with the SAT material. The more prepared you are, the easier it will be on test day! 
  2. Practice managing your time well. Make sure you have enough time for each question and that you are not rushing. When practicing, time yourself to get a better feel for how long you take. Keep note of how much time you take per passage so that you can improve. 
  3. Take several practice tests. There are many available free practice tests online as well as practice books. Full practice tests will allow you to get comfortable with how long the SAT is. 
  4. Always start with the easy questions first. While taking the test, answer what you know first. This will boost your confidence and ultimately allow you to perform better. 
  5. Eliminate incorrect answers. There will be times when you are unsure of the correct answer however you may be able to eliminate other answer choices. This will increase your chances of guessing correctly. 
  6. Sometimes…it’s okay to take a guess. There are plenty of questions on the test and it’s not worth worrying about a couple of questions. An educated guess is what can end up saving you. 
  7. Don’t spend too much time on one question, all the questions are worth the same point value! Attempt each question with the same effort no matter how difficult it may seem!