Spotlight on a Fall Athlete: Steven Lopez

Image by Andrea Piacquadio at Pexels

On the Freehold Boro cross-country team, there is one runner who truly stands out among others in the sport. Steven Lopez, a sophomore at Boro has proven himself to be an amazing runner. With a personal record in the 5k of 17:09 being set at the Boro vs CBA dual meet on October 3rd, Steven sets his eyes on a new goal. 

“I’m really trying to get at least 16:40 by senior year so that I can be placed in the top 10 5k school records,” says Steven. 

The record he refers to is displayed by the gym in a hallway. He hopes that one day, his name can be placed so that all can see his achievement but it is no easy task. Steven recognizes that it is very difficult to get one of the school’s all-time best records but he is confident in his running ability, dedication, and work ethic. 

“I’m not gonna stop trying until I get to see my name up on the wall. I have 2 more years and I know I can succeed.”

It is admirable to see the commitment by Steven to really put his whole focus on this goal. Even as an underclassman, he displays the qualities of a true leader and talented athlete. He understands that pure discipline and a strong mindset are necessary in order to succeed in not only the sport but also in life.