Hot Take: Bears Aren’t the Cute Animals That People Make Them Out to Be

Image by Becca on Unplash

It is known by the world that bears are super cute cuddly bundles of softness. After all, there are teddy bears that are gifted all the time as an endearing gift. Millions of children go to sleep soundly by holding their special stuffed bears. It gives them a sense of warmth and comfort. Even adults go to bed with teddy bears! All over in cartoons and books, bears are these big cozy creatures that are completely normalized in our minds; however, this could not be further from the truth. Bears are wild and vicious animals that are meant to be feared.

Bears are an apex predator, meaning that they are the kings of their environment. They call the shots and they are the ones that have the power to overtake ANY other animal. With massive jaws having the power to chomp down with pressure up to 1200 PSI, bears are no joke. For comparison, humans are only able to bite at 162 PSI! On top of that, bears have huge claws that can tear through human flesh like paper. They can be aggressive and tower over all other animals. Once a bear comes for you, you have no chance of escape. 

While it may seem like bears can be cute animals that like to sleep all day, they are really just purely brutal killers who can rip anything in their path to shreds. Not everyone can see the dangerous nature of these animals. They are not cute. They are not nice. And they are not friendly. Next time you walk by a teddy in the toys section of a store, think about how scarily inaccurate the media portrays bears. Bears should be feared and they aren’t meant to be loved by humans, who destroy their forests, take their homes, and kill their families.