Is Christmas Losing its Cheer?

Photo Courtesy of Teresa Hernandez-Vasquez

Christmas is one of the most anticipated holidays worldwide. Countless children count down the days to when they can wake up at the crack of drawn and see countless presents under the Christmas tree while teenagers build up their Christmas list with items far too expensive to ask for a birthday while parents all over endure the stress of holiday season just to see their children with huge smiles on their face. But as time passes, has Christmas lost all its cheer?

I, like hundreds of kids, love the season of Christmas. I love the cozy feeling of being inside my house wrapped in a blanket while outside is freezing with low temperatures. The feeling of waking up to the whole town covered in white fluffy snow. Having Christmas music blasting throughout the house and getting to enjoy all the Christmas movies. But as time has gone on I’ve felt less and less excited about the upcoming holiday. The cozy feeling turns into me shivering trying to find heat. The feeling of waking up to snow is more of a dream than a possibility as the chance of snowfall has declined due to global warming. The sound of Christmas music and movies have just become remade classics.

Christmas day has also felt less cheerful, not just the days leading up to it. With every year I find myself waking up later and later. The presents take about an hour or two and I find myself getting a trash bag and collecting the wrapping paper as time goes on. As I grow older, days feel shorter and I find myself not being able to enjoy the calm Christmas air I once endured during my childhood years. Instead of doing fun winter activities, listening to Christmas music in class, or having a “countdown till break”, I find myself doing tests and hours of homework days before Christmas and I’m not alone countless other people feel similarly as well. If you go online and search, “Christmas doesn’t feel the same” hundreds of videos and articles will appear discussing the Christmas time phenomenon. So now we ask you the question, do you think Christmas is losing its cheer?