Bed Bugs in Paris

Image by Pixabay at Pexels

Paris, the city of love, has been recently facing a bed bug infestation and concerns are arising that the infestation may spread overseas. The concern first started arising before Paris Fashion Week as there were increased sightings of bed bugs in homes, hotels, cinemas, trains, hospitals, etc. ANSES reported that the increased bed bugs were due to the increase in tourism around the city, causing the bedbugs to adapt against chemicals that were originally used to destroy them. They stay in bed frames and mattresses and wait until the host is asleep before crawling up to suck the host’s blood. But what’s more terrifying is that they can stick to clothing and luggage, allowing them to travel the world, raising concerns about the Paris infestation spreading worldwide. 

Even with the bed bug infestation, it is still allowed to travel within and outside of Paris. Some precautions that may help to ensure that the bed bug infestation doesn’t spread to other countries, some suggested actions include:

• Avoid putting your luggage on/near your bed.
    • An alternative option for this is to use the luggage racks provided by the hotel.
  • Separate your dirty and clean clothes (bed bugs prefer dirty clothes over clean clothes).
  • Keep your air-conditioning on as you sleep (bed bugs tend to thrive in temperatures of 70℉ to 90℉).
  • Wash all your clothes with hot water when you get home to kill any bed bugs that may be present.

If you plan to travel to Paris, be aware and stay alert of the pesky insects, but don’t forget to have fun. Safe travels!