Christmas’ Underrated Movie Hero

Prep and Landing. Probably not the first movie that comes to your mind when someone says Christmas. Most likely because it’s not even actually a movie but instead three 20-minute shorts. Nevertheless, it provides a perspective of Christmas like no other. Prep and Landing’s basic premise is how the elves prep the house so that Santa can get in and out as quickly as possible. Starring Wayne and Lanny, the first film follows the pair as they prepare the house for Santa during a blizzard. Even in 20 quick minutes, the film can cover the character arc of Wayne as he experiences an elf depression while needing to train Lanny who’s a first-year elf. Of course, the two conquer adversity and save the day for Santa and the little boy.

The second film is a bit shorter totaling only 10 minutes, however, it has a comforting ending. In this film, Wayne and Lanny are sent on a secret mission by Mrs. Claus to enter Santa’s workshop. They are to retrieve a box without Santa spotting them and bring it back to Mrs. Claus. After experiencing a few close calls they eventually get the box to Mrs. Claus. At the end of the film Mrs. Claus gifts the box to Santa and we learn that the box contained the first toy Santa ever made.

Lastly, the third film introduces us to family conflicts as we meet Wayne’s brother. It also shows the audience what the naughty and nice list is like. Overall the family dynamics contribute to the story in a unique way making it all tie together.

Prep and Landing isn’t a very well-known film series but it should be. It’s short enough to keep kids interested for the whole time. Furthermore, the lessons learned are good for all kids to experience. Finally, it gives a unique Christmas perspective that no other movie provides. If you and your family have yet to watch Prep and Landing you should definitely add it to your list for next year.