Hispanic Heritage Month

Photo Courtesy of Cristian Hernandez
Texas Mexican Restaurant, in downtown Freehold

From the period of September 15th to October 15th, Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated annually all over the world. The reason for the strange date choice is that September 15th marks the date for some Latin American countries that gained their independence, with a few others following days later. This month was dedicated to honor, recognize, and celebrate Hispanics around the world and their influence, history, achievements, and culture.

Despite the United States not being a Hispanic country, Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated here by many. Some celebration traditions include festivals, art shows, gatherings, and making traditional foods! During this time, it is important to recognize the importance of diversity and how everyone is able to display their culture for others in the world to see. 

Some famous Hispanics that are remembered for their contributions to the Hispanic culture are Frida Khalo, a famous Mexican painter known for her inspiration from indigenous culture and display of feminism; Cesar Chavez, an American labor activist who worked for the rights of migrant workers and co-founded the National Farm Workers Association; Vicente Fernández, a Mexican singer icon that connected people from all over the world with his music.

View Comments (1)