Trunk-or-Treat

Trunk-or-Treat
Photo Courtesy of Zachary Berger

For the  year in a row, the students and faculty of Freehold Boro High School brought their Halloween spirits to their trunk creations and, more importantly, to the smiles of visiting children and family. On Thursday, October 26th, the parking lot of Freehold Boro High School was filled with various cars, trucks, and an abundance of candy. As if in Disneyland, there were so many options for families and children to choose from. There was the graveyard with Hands for Hope to the chefs of Ratatouille with SkillsUSA to Willy Wonka of the Peer Leaders. The firehouse of Freehold’s Fire Department was even there to show the families what they do and the equipment they use. In addition, there were even a few food trucks there that were just icing on the cake. Meg’s Coffee, Vampire Penguin, and Wandering Sweets. For a few hours, students laughed and had no worries about homework or any tests that might be on the horizon. We all focused on the importance of making this year’s Trunk or Treat better than last year’s and making smiles fill that parking lot.

From Ms. Sandoval to Mr. Torres to Ms. Hanscom and Mrs. Filiaci, the faculty advised and guided us down our imaginative paths to create great trunks.  There were Mario Kart races, ring tosses, and a whole bunch of other fun games for the kids to play. The laughter was contagious from car to car and visiting child to visiting child. Throughout the event, there was never a dull moment, including the infamous Mike Myers walking around. There were a few Harry Potter costumes and a few fun Disney characters, but don’t forget the Marvel characters. All the kids had so much fun, and so did the workers. Each kid that was there had huge smiles on their faces. The smiles either remained happy or they turned to fright after seeing some spooky things like skeletons, zombies, and Michael Myers. Two participants of the event shared their thoughts on the occasion. Peer Leaders Edison Ajtun-Ayala and David Ajac told me their thoughts about this year’s Trunk or Treat. Both said they had a fun time. Edison said that for the peer leaders, “it was all fun with the inclusion of laughter.” He also added that it was amazing to see the decorations and all the cars. David went a step further, agreeing with Edison while elaborating, “This year’s event was much better than last year’s trunk or treat event.” To David, last year was disorganized, but this year, people knew how it was going to turn out, which was later presented as an improvement. David felt, “Also, the general environment was fun and friendly.”

In the end of it all, Boro Fights Cancer received first place with their perfectly pink car design. Peer Leadership and Avid followed up in the top three with their Willy Wonka and Super Mario-themed car designs. It was all fun at the event. Here is to hoping next year’s event will be even more spooktacular!