Tweens and Consumerism: Is the Beauty Industry Ruining Childhood?

Image courtesy of Element5 Digital.

The impact of the beauty industry on childhood is a many-sided topic that warrants careful examination. Even though the industry serves as a platform for self-expression and creativity, there’s an increased concern about its potential role in taking away childhood innocence. The impact of beauty standards on social media and advertisements has sparked discussions on how these influences from multiple platforms may affect the innocence of childhood and their appearance. This essay will mention some of the more popular perspectives relating to this topic. 

Even though the beauty industry has many negative effects on children, there are also many positive impacts. Showing and introducing the beauty industry to children can give them the confidence to embrace their creativity and explore their identities. Things like fashion, makeup, and styling hair can help children discover themselves while giving them a sense of individuality. The beauty industry also embraces creativity and uniqueness, which can influence children to be creative, confident, and embrace themselves. 

But of course, with the positives, it comes with the negatives. There is a darker side to the beauty industry that people usually don’t realize. Social media and advertisements display the picture of “perfection” with a “perfect body” and the “perfect skin”. This exposure can cause children to have low self-esteem and body image issues. It can cause many problems and issues, from not being able to be confident to having eating disorders. 

The pressure on being “perfect” puts an enormous amount of stress on children from a very young age. The beauty industry has both negative and positive impacts on children, both having a huge impact on their everyday lives. It could either make or break them and their confidence. So in your opinion, do you think the Beauty Industry Ruining Childhood?