• Nov 7, 9:50 pmAdd us on Twitter @HumansOfBoro

Five Ways to Increase Self-Esteem

Ushnaa Zaman, Staff Writer

Self-esteem is the confidence and respect that someone has for him/herself. What happens when someone has low self-esteem? What happens when someone feels that he/she is worthless? The answers are these adverse results: anxiety, stress, and depression.

Unfortunately, low self-esteem in teenagers is a growing statistic. There is a high chance you could be a victim of low self-esteem as well. Therefore, it is important to know simple ways to increase your self-esteem to avoid those damaging consequences.

1. Talk to yourself positively. Saying good things about yourself, like a compliment on your hair or outfit, will definitely give you a positive self-image. In addition, you shouldn’t compare yourself to others, because everyone has unique traits. You just have to find those special traits in yourself.
  2. Exercise. Any type of exercise will definitely make you feel better, even if it’s just a short walk around the block.
  3. Don’t aim for perfection. Nobody is perfect, and no one can achieve perfect ideals. So, instead of beating yourself up when you think your history project isn’t flawless, say to yourself: “I did the best that I could, and that’s what makes this project incredible.”
  4. Make your target something you can change. There’s no point in looking in the mirror and thinking, “I wish I had bigger eyes,” because that’s something that’s inalterable. Instead, focus on things you can change for the better: if you’re dissatisfied with your grade in math, you could study more and get better grades on your tests.
  5. Be around supportive people. Negative peers are often the cause of low self-esteem. If you’re often around a group people who try to bring you down, slowly depart from that group and start hanging out with optimistic people who will support you.

About the Writer
Ushnaa Zaman, Staff Writer
Ushnaa Zaman is a sophomore at Freehold High School. She loves to sing, dance, and write, and is very passionate about music. Her favorite artists are Michael Jackson and One Direction, and she enjoys watching Friends and Criminal Minds. She also loves to learn about different cultures and takes pleasure in learning different languages, and...